Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object/Catalog Number FIC09.4.17
Object Name Surgical Instrument
Collection Surgical Instruments used at Garretson Hospital of Oral Surgery
Object Category 15: Dental Materials, Tools & Equipment
Object Sub-category Surgical
Description Long all-metal surgical instrument with hexigon handle, possibly a retractor. Bears no manufacturer's mark. Found in collection with group of surgical instruments used at Garretson Hospital of Oral Surgery.
Material Metal
Length (in) 9
Condition Fair
Number of images 1
Catalog date 2009-11-13
Dimensions L-9 inches
Caption Surgical Instrument
Notes on Related Objects Rachel Hildebrandt and the Old York Road Historical Society. "The Philadelphia Area Architecture of Horace Trumbauer (Charleston, SC : Arcadia Pub., 2009), p. 89:

Garretson Hospital (originally known as the Hospital of Oral Surgery) was founded in 1879 by Dr. James E. Garretson. A modest hospital building designed by Horace Trumbauer was dedicated on March 2, 1908, one year after the hospital had been acquired by Temple University. In 1921, Temple's founder, Dr. Russell E. Conwell, announced that the tiny hospital would be enlarged, renamed Greatheart Hospital, and moved from its site at Eighteenth and Hamilton Streets. The hospital was absorbed by Temple University Hospital. The Trumbauer-designed building was demolished.
Old ID number 19-56
Source Temple University School of Dentistry
Made United States