|Object Name||Forceps, Bone Cutting|
|Collection||Surgical Instruments used at Garretson Hospital of Oral Surgery|
|Object Category||15: Dental Materials, Tools & Equipment|
|Description||Steel bone cutting forceps bearing manufacturer's mark "D. W. Kolbe & Son." on neck of instrument.|
|Inscription Text||D. W. KOLBE / & SON|
|Inscription Type||Manufacturer's Mark|
|Related Publications||Edmonson, James M., "American surgical instruments : the history of their manufacture and a directory of instrument makers to 1900 (San Francisco : Norman Pub., 1997), 54-60. (Biography of Dietrich W. Kolbe).|
Garretson Hospital of Oral Surgery
Kolbe, Dietrich W.
Garretson, Dr. James E.
|Number of images||1.0|
|Dimensions||W-1.625 L-5.625 inches|
|Caption||Bone Cutting Forceps|
|Notes on Related Objects||
Rachel Hildebrandt and the Old York Road Historical Society. "The Philadelphia Area Architecture of Horace Trumbauer (Charleston, SC : Arcadia Pub., 2009), p. 89:
Garretson Hospital (originally known as the Hospital of Oral Surgery) was founded in 1879 by Dr. James E. Garretson. A modest hospital building designed by Horace Trumbauer was dedicated on March 2, 1908, one year after the hospital had been acquired by Temple University. In 1921, Temple's founder, Dr. Russell E. Conwell, announced that the tiny hospital would be enlarged, renamed Greatheart Hospital, and moved from its site at Eighteenth and Hamilton Streets. The hospital was absorbed by Temple University Hospital. The Trumbauer-designed building was demolished.
|Old ID number||19-74|
|Source||Temple University School of Dentistry|
|Made||United States: Dietrich W. Kolbe & Son, Philadelphia, PA|